According to Hindu tradition still extant, the earliest known conqueror of Okhamandal was Shri Krishna, called also Ranchodji, the eight incaranation of Vishnu, Who after his seventeenth battle with Jara Sangh, king of Magadh Desh, fled from Mathura, and eventually arrived with his army at Okhamandal which he subjected after a hard struggle with the Kalas. Shri Krishna established his capital at Dwarka on the bank of the Gomti Creek.
Krishna was succeeded by the great grandson of Vajranabh, who enjoys the saintly reputation of having built the present temple Dwarkanath, called also Trilok sundar, signifying 'the handsomest of the three world' Many Hindus religiously believe that the temple was erected in one night by supernatural agency, under Vajranabh's direction.
Vajranabha constructed an umbrella type monument in the memory of his forefather in East of Harimandir, which remains from merging into the sea.
|According to Brahmi Script at the 1st floor of Harimandir, (less than 1/3 of today's Ladva mandir)It is believed that the renovation of this portion was done during this period of time.|
Mahakshatriya Rudradama defeated Dwaraka's king Vasudev 2nd. After his death his wife Queen Dheeradevi called up his religious brother Pulumavi from python to get help, that time Rudradama compromised with them and married his daughter to king Pulumavi and accepted Vaishhnav religion. According to this historical story it is understood that worship of Krishna was popular at Dwarka. And due to this Vajranabha had constructed a chhattri (an umbrella type monument) and put Shree Krishna 's idol there.
Shreemad Adyaguru Shankaracharya renovated the Dwarkadhish temple and established the shrine of Adyashakti at fourth floor.
Shree Nrushinhaashrma (Who defected the Brihaspatguru in the debut of scriptures at Patan) The head of the Shreemad Jagatguru Shankaracharya pith renovated the temple.
From 900 to
According to Sankaliya in the 10th century there was a temple of Krishna.
Minaldevi came to Dwarka and renovated the temple.
There was a rumour that bhakta Bodana (Worshipper) had taken the idol. At that time six males had gone for investigation. Odhavajee and Raghavajee, Son of Ramajeebhai, were among them who belonged to a mean family. Then there is a question that when Udaipur's Rana came to Dwarka, which Idol was there. So Gugalis thought that there is a false miracle spread to stop the Hindus from changing the religion.
The king of Udaipur Rana Bhimsinhaji Offered 7000 veegha land to Guggali Pujari on Sunday, Kartak Vad 13 Samvat 1218 at Bank of river Gomati. (According to the documents of Brahmin Family). It is assumed that they would have renovated the temple.
When Mohammad shah attacked on Dwarka and broke the temple, Five Brahmin males fought with them and lost their lives and become martyr. Their names were Virajee Thakar, Nathu Thakar, Karasan Thakar, Valjee Thakar, and Devasee Thakar. Their shrines are near to the temple. Muslims have changed the place in 'Panch Peer'
Gurjer kavi Someshwara arranged a show of his play 'Ullagharau' in front of shree Dwarkadhish and offered him.
There was a fight among Abotiya and meen family about Dhajajee (flag) of mandir at vasudevajee's deli and Chatrabhuja Narbheram lost his life. There were frequently occurs among them about the income of temple.
In 1560 vikram era Shree Vallabhacharayajee established the idol of Dwarkadhish at Ladva village, which was worshipped by Rukamini. At that time the idol supposed to be hidden in the step well called Savitri vav to protect them form the Muslim aggression. So when he saw the temple without idol he kept it there. It was there up to 1551. During the same period Turk Aziz attacked Dwarka the idol was taken to bet (the island)
In vikram Era 1613 Shree Vithalnathjee settled the disputes between Aboti & Gugali Brahmins by writing the copper script about their proportion in income from the temple.
In vikram era 1616 Shankaracharya Shree Anirudhashrma had made the idol at Dungarpur and established them at another place in the same campus and renovated the temple. Meanwhile poet Isar Barot presented his volume 'Hariras to Dwarkadhish (in 1540).
On 1786 the day of Akshay trivia on Thursday Shree Prakashanandjee had convinced Lakha Thakar to do yagya and renovated the temple. In addition to this Vagher king Map decreased the tax by ½ from Brahmins.
Maharaja Khanderao renovated the temple and Britishers repaired the summit of temple, which was broken during the fight with Vagher
Maharaja Gaikwad arranged to keep the golden pitcher on the summit of temple & Shankaracharya renovated the temple in 1958.
Since 1960 Indian Government takes care of it and renovates it gradually.
Pakistan navy attacked to destroy the temples but failed.